Friday, June 28, 2013

Male Leotards

Ooooooook, ladies, I think we can all agree that it is fun to have some boys/men in class with us. First of all there is a very slight chance to practice some minor partnering skills (this does not happen often at my studio because they have a separate pas de deux class) and second it is just exciting to see some of the different jumps and spins that men do! A co-ed class just has a different feeling to it.

There are two guys that come regularly to the Adult Ballet classes that I attend. One of the guys wears a white t-shirt and black shorts. The other guy, however, wears what I can only describe as a male loetard! Please understand that I am not trying to make fun of or criticize him; he is an extremely nice guy and a wonderful dancer! I just want to share.

He has the same style of leotard in a couple of color variations, but the one he normally wears has large vertical purple and grey stripes all over! The shape/style of the leotard reminds me of wrestling uniforms? Thin tank straps and a really low front that definitely exposes chest hair and the occasional nip slip, if you know what I mean. Maybe it is an old wrestling uniform and not a leotard at all! Anyways, who ever said that only the girls can have pretty things to wear in ballet! More men should express their personal sense of style in ballet! Unless, of course, there is a dress code at your school. Then you should definitely, ALWAYS,  adhere to the dress code.

At my studio the adult ballet class has no dress code so there are always lots of colors and skirts and leg-warmers! It is like walking into a pastel rainbow. All of the other classes require black leotards, pink tights, and no pretty skirts. Personally I hate  not wearing a skirt, but I understand that it can be easier to make sure you have proper alignment and everything with no skirt on.. so I'll take my skirt off for those technique classes. 

P.S. I have been drafting up a lot of posts over the week, but just haven't had time to finalize them because I have been so busy. My goal is to get them all up this weekend! =)

Be colorful!

No comments:

Post a Comment